Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Handmade Holiday Organizer

This week my design assignment for Miss Craft Junkie Too was to give a holiday organization tip.  I went ahead and did a project that will help keep me organized for all my handmade gift giving and cardmaking for many holiday seasons to come. 

This is a 6 inch cube sized box.  I'll discuss and show you the inside first, where the organization is - and then show you how I made the outside cute.

Inside I placed a cardboard divider in the box.  I wanted to be able to put cards in the front of the box, and have file folders in the back.  To keep everything from sliding around too much I figured this divider would help.  

The dividers in the back are really simple.  I just cut cute double sided papers that I would say are a medium thickness, then I scored them in half.  They are from a K & Company holiday stack.  To cut the tabs along the top I used the Cricut and the From My Kitchen cartridge.  Then I drew some stitching lines and wrote names on the tabs with one of my Stampin' Write markers from Stampin' Up. 
One of the tabs is labeled "cards" so I can keep a list of who I have made cards for, or sent cards too.  The other tabs are all names, and each family only has one folder.  So, for example - my husband's sister is named Becca, and the folder just has her name on it, but it will also include the gift lists for her kids.

My plan is to put any gift ideas in the appropriate folder.  Also, if I decide I know I want to make a certain project I can write a supply list, and also record where the pattern is if it's something that requires one.  


I decorated the outside to look like a present.  I used a couple die cuts from Doodlebug Designs with some Stickles and Buttons.  I covered the whole thing with some DCWV patterned paper and finished off with some high quality grosgrain ribbon.  I tied a bow, knowing that my family cannot replicate it - so I'll know if someone has peeked!  *LOL*

8 comments:

Helen said...

Very cute! Love this idea :)

Unknown said...

This is such a cute box!!! I have so many cards that I have made over the past year, this would be perfect!!! TFS

Marlene said...

What a great idea! Looks gorgeous, too.

Tabitha said...

Very cute idea. Love this. TFS

Anonymous said...

geat idea!!! I LOVE this!!! TFS! -Sam :-)

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Super cute! LOL I should add bows to my things!

Monica-FC said...

oh I just absolutely love this idea. I will have to try to make one also. this way my cards can be organized also.

Yoshiras time to craft said...

very cute.im trying to organzine my cards too.and this idea sounds good to me.