Friday, March 22, 2013

Sewn Jar Shaker Easter Cards


Today I made some shaker cards using my sewing machine!





I designed this card starting with the jar.  It's from Lawn Fawn's Summertime Charm set.  I'm going to take a little time to write out all my steps.

The back layer of white was stamped on white cardstock and then I filled it with lots of jellybeans.  The jellybean stamp is from Lawn Fawn's Happy Easter set.  I stamped it using Stampin' Up inks Almost Amethyst, Pixie Pink, Gable Green, Bashful Blue, and Barely Banana.  I did not fussy cut it at this point.  I cut out a large rectangle around it.

I stamped the jar onto some acetate using some Staz On. For each shaker I stamped the jar twice and did a very rough cut around it.  You want some space for moving it while you sew so don't fussy cut yet!

I used a single small glue dot to adhere the 2 layers of transparency together.  Then I took it to the sewing machine and used white thread to sew the sides and the bottom closed.  I did NOT sew across the top yet.  After stitching I filled the jar with some little seed beads and some faux snow.  Once it was filled I went back to the sewing machine and stitched the top to complete the shaker effect.

I stamped the jar lid in black Staz On onto some silver cardstock.  Then I fussy cut it and adhered it over the acetate.  

I adhered the completed shaker over the stamped white layer with jelly beans.  I used some ATG tape along the lid area because it's hidden, then I used a mini glue dot at the bottom of the jar to keep it from flopping around.  It really isn't noticeable.  At this point I fussy cut the jar just cutting the white and clear layers all at once, leave a small border to make sure you don't cut through your stitches.  The jar is adhered with pop dots.

OK, that was the hard part :)

The pink (or green in the boy version) layer is 1 3/4 by 2 1/2.  I did some faux stitching with a white gel pen.   I used the Happy Easter Lawn Fawn set for the sentiment and image, although it didn't stamp cleanly so I went over it with a white gel pen and it looks a little rough.  If I did these again I would do white embossing instead.  I adhered this layer with pop dots.

The jellybean paper is from the Doodlebug Design 6 by 6 pad Hello Spring.  It is cut to 3 by 4 inches.

The purple (or orange) layer is cut to 3 1/2 by 4 1/2 inches and dressed up with more faux stitching with a white gel pen.

The card base was done in vanilla and is an odd size.  It's 4 by 5 inches.

Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to explain in case anyone wanted to make one.

I will be entering these into a challenge over at Lawnscaping Challenge.  This is for challenge Challenge #54  Stitching.  I used both real and faux stitching on my card so I've really got the bases covered.

14 comments:

Angi Barrs said...

So super fun and adorable for Easter! Love the jars!

Patricia St Martin said...

Amber, I love these Easter cards, they are so cute. Thank you for sharing the directions. All the wonderful sparkle and the sewing is a nice touch.
Hugs, Patricia

{Chrissie} said...

These are just so much fun! Perfect for Easter and just darling!

Thanks for playing along with Lawnscaping!

Audrey Frelx said...

Hi, Amy! Great card, very pretty!!! Love how you stamped the jar on the acetate!

Lisa said...

These are so awesome!! I absolutely love the jars!! Happy Friday :)

Lisa
A Mermaid's Crafts

Migdalia said...

This is Totally Cute!!
Have a Wonderful Day,
Migdalia

Unknown said...

Very cute...I wish I could sew! Thanks for stopping by!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

These are just the cutest jars! Carri~Abusybee

scrappinC said...

Fabulous cards. Love how you did the shaker with the jars. The bunny is adorable. Lawn Fawn has such cute stamps. Have a fantastic weekend my friend.
Hugs,
Cindy Lou

Marybeth said...

Adorable jars and sweet card!

Missy said...

I love, love these!! Love how you turned the jars in to the shakers themselves!!!

Joe Shien Shien said...

Love your cards....!! love the happy colors and the white stamping on it..!! Thank you for playing along with us at Lawnscaping...

Yainea said...

So cute! Great cards, love the shakers!

Thank you so much for joining us at Lawnscaping challenges! :)

Elena said...

they are perfect! I could never steady my hands enough to stamp on acetate, but I wish I could, especially looking at your cards! thanks for playing along with us at lawnscaping!